The convenience and efficiency level of smart cities is not restricted to energy and water consumption and smart hardware projects but Big Data is coming in the forefront to change the way we manage, analyze and leverage data in one of the most encouraging and promising industry called Health Care. Healthcare analytics have the perspective to reduce the cost of treatment, avoid preventable diseases and overall improve the quality of health in general.
What healthcare industry in the future smart cities will look like:
1. Data stored in smart homes of steel buildings for elderly and disabled can be used by the health care centers to analyze any risks related to health by following the datasets of an individual.
2. Database available to hospitals can track the number of patients visiting a particular hospital in a given time which can be daily or hourly. This will give different faculties enough time to make arrangement for any kind of treatment.
3. Big Data available on trends of admission record can help researchers to see relevant patterns in admission rates. Extra staff can be appointed when the huge number of patients are expected. This will reduce the waiting time for patients and lead to better quality of care.
4. The electronic health record is a widespread application of Big Data in the healthcare industry. Digital records of each patient include demographic, medical history, allergies, and lab tests. These records help to track prescriptions and trigger warnings and reminders when a patient needs to get a new lab test or change in medicine.
5. Wearable devices collect patient’s health data continuously and send it to the cloud. An asthmatic patient using an inhaler with GPS enabled trackers allows better treatment plan during an emergency.
6. Due to access to personal data in a hospital, medical assistance can reach within minutes in case of an emergency like high blood pressure. In case of major health issues, real-time alerts can be of great use.
7. Big Data is of great help to prevent opioid abuse. It helps to identify people as ‘high risks’ and prevents them from developing an addiction to the drug. An overdose of opioid as a pain reliever is a serious problem that can be taken care of with the help of data collected.
8. Predictive analytics in healthcare industry comes handy in patients with complex medical histories suffering from multiple conditions. Database of such patients helps doctors to take a decision within seconds and improve patient’s condition without wasting time. Additional advice can be given based on the data such as weight management or special screening if required.
9. Big data analytics saves time, money and energy by preventing unnecessary emergency visits. In case of emergency, the hospitals will consider the previous data such as lab tests, medicines, and advice of the previous doctor so as the patient doesn’t have to undergo the tests again and again.
10. Big data can be used for informed strategic planning. This will allow the doctors to review the health care delivery strategy to more problematic areas with chronic diseases and open more care units as required.
Data collection of patients will help the healthcare industry become cost-effective. It will provide different solutions to curb different problems for better and healthy living.